Surah Hud 6 to 123
- [11:6] Allah KNOWS every creature’s rizq (provision) and place of rest even though there are millions of creatures in the universe.
- [11:7] He created the seven heavens seven earths and the Arsh and all of us…why? TO TEST US! All khair and shar comes to us to test us….to see which one of us is BEST in deeds.
- [11:9] Don’t despair and don’t be ungrateful when you face a problem. It’s just a test from Allah so be a true believer and show patience while continuing to do good deeds as this will cleanse your soul and bring ou great reward.
- [11:11] إِلَّا الَّذِينَ صَبَرُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ أُولَٰئِكَ لَهُمْ مَغْفِرَةٌ وَأَجْرٌ كَبِيرٌ “Except for those who are patient and do righteous deeds; those will have forgiveness and great reward“. Only place in the Quran where Allah accompanies وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَات with صَبَرُوا instead of ءامنو showing us that at the times of tests and trials, be it of ease or difficulty….no doubt sabr is important but accompanying that sabr with continuous good A’mal is necessary too. That’s the real purpose of the test…to make us “learn to continue” with good deeds with sabr “inspite of the burden of the test we are facing.“ nThat’s where the mercy and ajr of Allah comes and raises us in degrees of righteousness.
- [11:10] When you get out of trouble or solve a problem, never fall into the trap of saying “Because I did this and this everything was ok”. Remember, it was only Allah who took you out of that situation. Instead of boasting, say Alhamdulillah.
- [11:13-14] Are you not convinced when you read the Quran that it is the truth? We know the Quran and everything in it is the truth, but do we follow the instructions in it as well?
- [11:15-16] Whoever does a good deed only to gain some benefit in the life of this world and doesn’t have any intention of pleasing Allah nor preparing for the meeting with Him, will have nothing but the Fire in the Akhirah.
- [11:23] Be humble. If you want to go to jannah, you have to adopt humility alongwith having eeman and doing good deeds.
- [11:29] Every Prophets conveyed message of Allah, without looking towards worldly benefits, they expected their reward from Allah and had no greed of wealth in their hearts.
- [11:38] Whenever you do something for the sake of Allah and people laugh at you, don’t get embarrassed or discouraged. Just think of Nuh alayhi sallam when he was constructing the Ark; his reward is with Allah. The mockers will be ridiculed on the Day of Judgement and you will be laughing, inshaa’Allah.
- [11:41] Saying bismillah before any significant deed is one of the most powerful habits you can teach yourself and your children.
- [11:43- 45] Name, caste, lineage, righteous parents will never help to save us from Allah’s punishment. Only our righteous deeds will help us and save us.
- [11:47] Even after doing so many good deeds, even after calling his people to Allah for 950 years, even being a prophet, Nuh (alayhis’salam) feared Allah would be angry at him, for questioning about the fate of his son, what about us? Do we dare to question Allah for His decisions for us? Let’s learn from Prophet Nuh and memorize his dua:
رَبِّ إِنِّي أَعُوذُ بِكَ أَنْ أَسْأَلَكَ مَا لَيْسَ لِي بِهِ عِلْمٌ ۖ وَإِلَّا تَغْفِرْ لِي وَتَرْحَمْنِي أَكُنْ مِنَ الْخَاسِرِينَ“My Lord, I seek refuge in You from asking that of which I have no knowledge. And unless You forgive me and have mercy upon me, I will be among the losers.”
- [11:50][11:53- 60] The crime of the people of Aad was that they followed the evil chiefs and elite of their clan and rejected Allah and His Messenger. Do we see a similar behaviour in our communities?
- [11:52] Seeking forgiveness of Allah and repenting to Him brings about provisions and strength! Nabi (saw) taught this dua to a man:
اللهم اغفرلي، وارحمني، واهدني، وعافني، وارزقني“O Allah! Forgive me, have mercy on me, protect me and provide me with sustenance.”He (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wasallam) said: ‘Surely, this supplication is better for you in this life and in the Hereafter.’ (Riyad as Saliheen, Book of Du’a Book 17, Hadith 1469)Let’s memorize it. A du’a for khair in both worlds.
- [11:72-73] When good and wonderful things come to the slave – do not be so caught up in amazement and stunned thought. Your Lord is able to do anything. The Command and Decree of Allah is not a surprise for the slave who knows the Power and Capability of Allah. This is why the angels exclaimed back, ‘Do you wonder at the Decree of Allah? May the mercy of Allah be upon you…’ See, at the point when you recognise a great nai’mah (blessing) of Allah, there is a blessed moment in which your initial reaction is recorded with heaviness on the scale. What is required of you at that point is immediate gratitude, and for you to praise Allah, and exalt Him without delay. This is just one of the reasons why the verse ends with ‘Indeed, He is Praiseworthy and Honorable’ – Allah is reminding us (through the words of his angels) about our actions at such a moment. He is effectively teaching us how to deal with Him and His Blessings.
- [11:74] A believer is caring at heart. He not only worries about himself but for all his brothers and sisters in Deen. Prophet Ibrahim was given the good news of a son in his old age…his duaa was finally accepted…he was happy for himself but then worried about the coming punishment on the people of Lut. The sincerity of the Prophets is such a beautiful thing to read about. These were legends; great men who desired nothing more than that Allah be worshipped in the land. They wanted nothing but guidance for their people. They didn’t desire wealth, or fame, or social ranking… just that people turned to their Creator, and were saved in this life and the next. Let’s learn from the prophets.
- [11:77-83] The actions of the people of Lut (alayhis’salam) were forbidden by Allah, declared a major sin. Allah sends His curse and punishment on people who do this. Homosexuality is haraam! And we know from the verses of the Qur’an that those who support it (wife of Prophet Lut) will be with those who will be punished for doing this haraam act. Beware!
- [11:84-85] Never cheat when selling or even buying things, never alter weight , deceive people by certain types of marketing etc.
- [11:88] When you advise people to good, explain with wisdom and kindness. Don’t argue with them but explain that you only wish good for them and wish to be together with them in Jannah.
- [11:97-98] Fir’awn was a leader to evil and oppressive actions in Dunya so he will be a leader on the Day of Qiyamah as well – a leader leading his followers to the Hell Fire.
- [11:102] A Hadeeth of our beloved Prophet (sallallahu alyhi wasallam),
“Allah will let the wrongdoer continue until when He begins to punish him, He will never him go.”Then He [sallallahu alyhi wasallam] recited (this ayah of Surah Hud),“Such is the Seizure of your Lord when He seizes the (population of) the towns while they are doing wrong. Verily, His Seizure is painful, (and) severe.” [Surah Hud 102][Narrated by Muslim]May Allah Taála guide us and help us act on His guidance, before its too late, Ameen.
- [11:106-108] Race to good deeds and to Jannah, the blessed ones with heavy scales of good deeds will have a pleasant eternal life in Jannah while those who were busy in doing evil deeds will end up screaming eternally in Hell Fire.
- [11:114] Good deeds wipe out bad deeds by the grace of Allah, if you feel guilty after sinning, do a good deed even if it is as simple as saying la ilaha illAllah…
- [11:119] Allah will fill Hell with jinn and men all together, pray you are not one of them.
- [11:120] When you feel down or weak in emaan, read stories of the Prophets and ask Allah to make firm your heart thereby. Allah has written numerous stories and examples in the Qur’an to console the Prophet (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wasallam) and his followers’ hearts. All stories comfort us and make us learn sabr and tawakkal.
English Compilation: Sr. Mariam Anwer (Quest for Paradise)