Surah Yusuf Ayahs 1 to 52
- [12:3]When the Yahood as Prophet Muhammad (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wasallam) about Yusuf (‘alayhissalam) to test his knowledge, Allah revealed the whole story to inform him and as a form of consolation to him. It’s a story full of lessons of all types for all ages. You will learn something new everytime you read this beautiful surah. Allah subhana’watalh called it BEST STORY.
- [12:2] Make learning the Arabic language with the intention to understand the Quran a priority.
- [12:5] Dreams are of three types. Good dreams are from Allah. We should narrate them only to a loved one. Bad dreams are from shaytan to worry us. If we get a bad dream we should recite “istiaza” (A’aoodhubillahi min asshaytanir Rajeem) thrice and spit on the left and turn to the other side and not tell anyone about it. And third type is from your own mind of the happenings around you. Relay good dreams only to a loved one not to those of whom you fear jealousy.
- [12:8] Stay away from hasad/envy. Envy and eeman cannot stay together…it eats up good deeds and it’s a characteristic of shaytan. A true servant of Allah cannot feel jealous—he is content with what Allah has chosen for Him, and for others. Whenever you see Allah blessing people with what you also desire, then make du’aa for it instead of envying people. Ask Him of His bounties for you and the people. He is the Possessor of infinite treasures and He hears and responds to all duaas!
- [12:9] You can’t plan a bad deed and say “I will just repent afterwards!”
- [12:18] Learn sabr from Prophet Ya’qoob (‘alayhissalam). He controlled his sadness and his anger for the sake of Allah and accepted the decision of Allah. Would we react in the same way if a similar news is delivered to us? Whenever bad news comes to you, tell yourself: patience is most fitting (sabrun jameel).
- [12:23] There are seven whom Allaah will shade with His shade on the day when there will be no shade except His and one of them is a man who is called by a woman of rank and beauty and says ‘I fear Allaah’[and turns away from the temptation]…(al-Bukhaari, no. 620; Muslim, no. 1712; and others).
- [12:32] Committing a sin and then being proud of it and letting everyone know about it is piling sin upon sin and losing all chances of forgiveness from Allah!
- [12:33-34] Believers prefer prison than the disobedience of Allah.
- [12:35] Fear Allah and always seek His help to stay steadfast on His Deen and Allah will in turn help you and protect you from fitnah.
- [12:36-41] Are you of those who forget all their obligations, duties and manners when they are caught us in a huge problem? Learn from Yusuf (‘alahissalam)…He cared for the guidance of others and didn’t forget his duties as a believer and called people to Allah even when he was in prison. He showed his excellent character even in prison so his fellow prisoners trusted him, confided in him and sought his help.
- [12:45-52] Never doubt the wise planning of Allah. He knows while you don’t. Reflect on how Allah saved Yusuf (‘alayhissalam) from the prison and how the wife of Aziz accepted her sin and praise the pious character of Yusuf (‘alayhissalam).
English Comiplation: Sr. Mariam Anwer (Quest for Paradise)