Surah Al Kahf 1- 74
The Prophet (sallAllahu alayhi wasallam) said:
“Whoever reads Soorat al-Kahf on the night of Jumu’ah, will have a light that will stretch between him and the Ancient House (the Ka’bah).” (Narrated by al-Daarimi, 3407. classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami, 6471)
Surah Al-Kahf was revealed during the last stages of the Prophet Muhammad’s ﷺ mission in Makkah, before the migration to Madinah. After over a decade of oppression, the Muslims organized themselves to leave Makkah and start a new life there.
- [18:6] Worry, be concerned not only for yourself and family but for the whole ummah and their guidance like Muhammad (sallAllahu alayhi wassallam.
- [18:13] Allah guides the youth who are strong in belief and stand up for the truth – ask Him to guide the youth you know to firm emaan and steadfastness.
Lesson from the أصحاب الكهف : If a person does not compromise on affairs of the Deen and seeks the help of Allah in difficulty while doing Tawakkal…Allah helps and opens the right ways for him. Allah’s help is not for the one, who claims he is self sufficient and is arrogant in depending on Allah. We have to learn from Ibrahim (A.S). Sometimes it so happens that when we seek the help of Allah and trust Him….there is no real change in the conditions except that our eeman goes up and our relationship with Allah gets better on account of the worship (dua+tawakkal+hope)
- [18:23] Always say inshaa’Allah when you intend to do something in the near future. And teach children the beauty of this dhikr – how many of us use inshaa’Allah as a way of saying ‘no’ to our children and thereby destroy the beauty of this concept?
- [18:28] Be inspired by those who make an effort to please Allah, be in their company and don’t get distracted by those who chase this world!
RasoolAllah ﷺ was ordered to be in the company of righteous people then what about us?
- [18:32] Learn to be thankful for all blessings.
- [18:34] Never compare yourself with others, boasting about what you have and others don’t. And if you see others doing this, advise them gently to be grateful to Allah instead.
- [18:39] When Allah blessed a man with a beautiful garden, instead of being thankful that man was arrogant and proud so a huge disaster hit his garden and destroyed it. Always seek Allah’s protection by saying ماشاء الله لا قوة إلا بالله
- [18:49] Know that every single deed, big or small, is recorded in your Book of Deeds. Teach children this concept from young.
- [18:60] If you are a student of knowledge, then know that seeking knowldge has no end. There will also be someone more knowledgeable than you. But complete knowledge of everything lies only with Allah.
- [18:66-82] The journey of Musa(allai’hisalam) with Khizar ended, as Musa (allai’hisalam) didn’t hold himself with patience on inquiring about orphan’s murder and hole in the boat. It shows patience is the key to acquire knowledge.
English Compilation by: Sr. Mariam Anwer (Quest for the Paradise)