Surah Ta Ha was revealed at approximately the same time period. It is reported that Umar ibn Khattab read part of this chapter when he discovered his sister reading from the Quran and interrogated her about it. Against all odds, his heart softened and he embraced Islam. Most of the chapter is dedicated to the story of Prophet Musa (Moses), peace be upon him. The Arab tribes were familiar with and accepting of Moses as a prophet, and relating this story shows the continuity in Allah’s message and methods of bringing guidance to His people. This chapter also emphasizes the importance of salaat (prayer) in strengthening the faith and hearts of believers.
Surah Taha 1 to 135
- [20:14] Always be busy in remembrance/dhikr of Allah. Perform your prayers on time. This was the message given to Prophet Musa (‘alayhissalam).
- [20:25] Learn Prophet Musa’s du’a:
رَبِّ اشْرَحْ لِي صَدْرِي . وَيَسِّرْ لِي أَمْرِيMy Lord, expand for me my breast [with assurance] And ease for me my task.
- [20:41] Allah says to Musa (a.s):
وَاصْطَنَعْتُكَ لِنَفْسِي “And I produced you for Myself”. (chose you)
“The Messenger of Allah said: ‘Allah has His own people among mankind.’ They said: ‘O Messenger of Allah, who are they?’ He said: ‘The people of the Qur’án, the people of Allah and those who are closest/special to Him.”(Sunan Ibn e Majah, Book of Sunnah, Hadith no 214, Classified as Sahih By Allama Albani)
- [20:44] Learn to speak gently and politely. When Allah ordered Musa (‘alayhissalam) to speak gently and politely to a tyrant and oppressor like Fir’awn then what should our way be with people who are way better than him?
- [20:78] When you are a sinner, success and status in dunya won’t prevent you from the punishment of Allah.
- [20:84] Hasten and race to do the actions which please Allah. When Prophet Muhammad ﷺ was ordered to pray for more ilm and increase in knowledge…even though he was a prophet then what about us?
رَبِّ زِدْنِي عِلْمًا “My Lord, increase me in knowledge.”
- [20:124] Read, recite, understand and practice the Qur’an because if you don’t, you will have a depressed life! And on the Day of Qiyamah our sight will be due to the Qur’an and the one who ignored it in Dunya will be raised blind on that Day.
- [20:130-131] Be patient and stick to dhikr, tasbeeh and prayer. Avoid the things that tempt you to worry about life of dunya and stick to the teachings of the Qur’an. Allah will then grant you peace and success.
English Compilation By: Sr. Mariam Anwer (Quest for Paradise)