In the name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful
مَنَاقِبِ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ عُمَرَ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُمَا
We already have studied the biography of Abdullah Bin Omar R.A in another post. So today we will discuss insha’Allah his virtues with reference to Sahih Al-Bukhari from Kitab ul Munaqib.
حَدَّثَنَا إِسْحَاقُ بْنُ نَصْرٍ، حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ الرَّزَّاقِ، عَنْ مَعْمَرٍ، عَنِ الزُّهْرِيِّ، عَنْ سَالِمٍ، عَنِ ابْنِ عُمَرَ ـ رضى الله عنهما ـ قَالَ كَانَ الرَّجُلُ فِي حَيَاةِ النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم إِذَا رَأَى رُؤْيَا قَصَّهَا عَلَى النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم، فَتَمَنَّيْتُ أَنْ أَرَى رُؤْيَا أَقُصُّهَا عَلَى النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم، وَكُنْتُ غُلاَمًا أَعْزَبَ، وَكُنْتُ أَنَامُ فِي الْمَسْجِدِ عَلَى عَهْدِ النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم فَرَأَيْتُ فِي الْمَنَامِ كَأَنَّ مَلَكَيْنِ أَخَذَانِي فَذَهَبَا بِي إِلَى النَّارِ، فَإِذَا هِيَ مَطْوِيَّةٌ كَطَىِّ الْبِئْرِ، فَإِذَا لَهَا قَرْنَانِ كَقَرْنَىِ الْبِئْرِ، وَإِذَافِيهَا نَاسٌ قَدْ عَرَفْتُهُمْ، فَجَعَلْتُ أَقُولُ أَعُوذُ بِاللَّهِ مِنَ النَّارِ، أَعُوذُ بِاللَّهِ مِنَ النَّارِ. فَلَقِيَهُمَا مَلَكٌ آخَرُ فَقَالَ لِي لَنْ تُرَاعَ. فَقَصَصْتُهَا عَلَى حَفْصَةَ.فَقَصَّتْهَا حَفْصَةُ عَلَى النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم فَقَالَ “ نِعْمَ الرَّجُلُ عَبْدُ اللَّهِ، لَوْ كَانَ يُصَلِّي بِاللَّيْلِ ”. قَالَ سَالِمٌ فَكَانَ عَبْدُ اللَّهِ لاَ يَنَامُ مِنَ اللَّيْلِ إِلاَّ قَلِيلاً.Narrated Ibn Omar: If a man saw a dream during the lifetime of the Prophet (ﷺ) he would narrate it to the Prophet. Once I wished to see a dream and narrate it to the Prophet (ﷺ) I was young, unmarried and used to sleep in the Mosque during the lifetime of the Prophet. I dreamt that two angels took me and went away with me towards the (Hell) Fire which looked like a well with the inside walls built up and had two side-walls like those of a well. There I saw some people in it whom I knew. I started saying, “I seek Refuge with Allah from the (Hell) Fire, I seek Refuge with Allah from the (Hell) Fire.” Then another angel met the other two and said to me, “Do not be afraid.” I narrated my dream to Hafsa (R.A) who, in her turn, narrated it to the Prophet(ﷺ) . He said, “What an excellent man `Abdullah is if he only observes the night prayer.” Salim, (a sub-narrator) said, “Abdullah used not to sleep at night but very little henceforward.”(Sahih Al-Bukhari 3738 -3739)
حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى بْنُ سُلَيْمَانَ، حَدَّثَنَا ابْنُ وَهْبٍ، عَنْ يُونُسَ، عَنِ الزُّهْرِيِّ، عَنْ سَالِمٍ، عَنِ ابْنِ عُمَرَ، عَنْ أُخْتِهِ، حَفْصَةَ أَنَّ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ لَهَا “ إِنَّ عَبْدَ اللَّهِ رَجُلٌ صَالِحٌ ”
What did we learn from above Ahadith?
– We see how positively Prophet ﷺ spoke about Abdullah bin Omar RA before advising him, even though the dream was very frightening. A positive talk helps others to overcome their anxiety.
– Abdullah b. Omar RA changed himself as soon he heard Prophet’s ﷺ advice. Sahabah were honest in their ‘Sami’nawaata’naa (We have heard and obeyed)
– Also, we have seen the importance of Tahujjud (night) prayer in the hadith. The best prayer after fard is tahajjud. Similarly, Duha prayer (The Supererogatory Morning Prayer) also carries immense rewards. It is also called Sharuq prayer (the only difference is of timings).
– Do you know that every prostration increase ranks of the person? the more you prostrate, the more you raise your ranks in paradise insha’Allah until we reach the highest level, Jannat Al-Firdaws (Paradise).
– Secondly, it helps to deal with depression and opposition as well. When Prophet ﷺ was criticized by his opponents, Allah SWT advised His Messenger:
“And We already know that your breast is constrained by what they say. So exalt [ Allah ] with praise of your Lord and be of those who prostrate [to Him].”
(Surah Al-Hijr: 97-98)
– These prostrations will help you to get rid of the constriction you feel in your heart: any emotional, psychological suffering. Moreover, Allah SWT will put respect for you in the hearts of those who are special to Him SWT. He got the love in the court of Allah SWT, in the court of angels and on the earth Allah SWT will put love and respect for him in the hearts of his beloved slaves.
What is required on our side?
To Strengthen our relationship with Allah: correct your relationship with Allah, and Allah will correct all your affairs. Do as it is described in Quran and demonstrated by RasoolAllah ﷺ .