Surah Yunus 1 to 109
- [10:3 & 31] Allah established Himself above the Throne arranging all the matters of the entire creation, that means that He manages the affairs of every single thing out there, be it the skies, earth, animals, insects, birds, humans or the unborn in the bellies of all females. We have to trust in Him, in His Decisions for us as He is Al Mudabbir [Arranger and Planner of all affairs]. He is able to manage all our matters, perfectly, SubhanAllahi wa bihamdihi.
- [10:4] Know that the Day of Judgement is there to establish justice for each one of us.
- [10:6] When you see the evening fall, and days and nights altering, remember Allah.
- [10:7] No belief in the meeting of Allah, all focus toward enjoying Dunya and heedlessness towards Qur’an and its rulings…this is the attitude of the people of hellfire. May Allah protect us from being of them.
- [10:9-10] Allah promises delight & success for those who believed in Allah and His Messenger and complied with what they were commanded to follow. Allah promises that He will guide such people because of their eeman or through their eeman. This means:
1- When people have eeman & strive to do good, Allah increases them in guidance & good.
2- Because of their eeman, Allah will guide them on the Day of Qiyamah, on the Siraat (Slippery Bridge) till they reach Paradise. As Mujahid said;
“Their faith will be a light in which they will walk.”
And on reaching Paradise, they will glorify and praise Allah due to extreme pleasure and delight. Allah will make dhikr & tasbeeh second nature to them — easy, natural, automatic.
- [10:13] Reflect over the kindness and mercy of your Rabb! Isn’t it amazing how He never responds to calls and duaas of people which they make in a state of hasty anger, grief against themselves, their children or their weath, e.t.c. because they do not truly intend it. But you must be careful and avoid praying for evil as much as you can as the Prophet (sallAllahu alayhi wasallam) said:
“Do not pray against yourselves, do not pray against your children, do not pray against your wealth, for your prayer may coincide with a time of response from Allah and Allah will respond to your prayer.” (Abu Dawood 2:185)
- [10:14] Do you realize the honour and responsibility Allah gave to every single Muslim on this earth? You can’t just live heedlessly- you have to show the world an example. Ask Allah to give you awareness of your role on this earth.
- [10:18] There is no intercessor except after His permission.
- [10:22] At times of extreme difficulty when you call out to Allah with a sincere heart, Allah removes you from that state
- [10:24 & 45] Remind yourself in times of hardship but also in times of ease that this life is only temporary. Don’t get too comfortable in it, making you lose focus on your final destination.
- [10:26] RACE to do good deed because Allah has saved the best reward for you and زِيَادَةٌ EXTRA. What does Allah mean by ‘EXRA‘?
Among Hadiths is what Imam Ahmad recorded from Suhayb that Allah’s Messenger (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wasallam) recited this Ayah,
لِّلَّذِينَ أَحْسَنُواْ الْحُسْنَى وَزِيَادَةٌ
(For those who have done good is the best and even more) And then he said: “When the people of Paradise enter Paradise, a caller will say: `O people of Paradise, Allah has promised you something that He wishes to fulfill.’ They will reply: `What is it Has He not made our Scale heavy Has He not made our faces white and delivered us from Fire’ Allah will then remove the veil and they will see Him. By Allah, they have not been given anything dearer to them and more delightful than looking at Him.”
(Muslim and a group of Imams also related this Hadith)
- [10:57] Allah said the Qur’an is a healing for what is in your breast. Next time you feel sad, anxious, depressed, hurt or angry, try it, pick up the Qur’an and read it and ask Allah to let it calm you down. It does help.
- [10:58] Read what Allah says in this ayah. He says that the Qur’an is the biggest blessing that has come down to us. It’s a blessing that is way way way better than every other blessing that humans desire to accumulate. So if you are guided to read it, recite it, understand and reflect on its verses and put them to practice, Allah says: فَلْيَفْرَحُوا CELEBRATE (this blessing), be happy about it. Because this is better than every other favor from Allah, it truly is the best of all gifts from Allah. We should be grateful for this blessing from our hearts, our tongues and by our actions…by always reading the Qur’an, acting on it and teaching it to others.
- [10:62] Be of the friends of Allah, the ones who love each other for the sake of Allah and who are always busy in doing good. For them Allah has promised that they shall have no fear and no grief.
- [10:71-73] Do not be of those who deny the ayaat of Allah. The nation of Nuh (alayhissalam) rejected their prophet and denied the signs so Allah punished them with a huge flood and drowned them.
- [10:76] Magic can never overpower the Qur’an. Always protect yourself by reading the Qur’an.
- [10:78] Be careful of having negative assumptions when people advise you. Just take “what” they advise you instead of wondering “why” they are advising you.
- [10:83] Never keep away from doing any Islamic obligation because you are scared of what opposing parties might do to you. Instead make this dua:
- [10:87] At times of chaos in Deen, masajid can be established in houses and congregations can be held. Do not leave off prayer in any conditions.
- [10:90] Tawbah (repentance) at the time of death will never be accepted.
- [10:92] Allah has made the body of Fir’awn an ibrah a sign for all to see and learn from. Do not tread the same path as him, a path of arrogance, ignorance & the attitude: “whatever! I know what’s right“.
- [10:98] The people of Prophet Yunus alaihissalam repented and corrected themselves before Allah sent his punishment. Be of the wise ones. Repent and turn to Allah before it’s too late.
- [10:99] Never try to force anyone to believe in Allah – after inviting them, the hidayah is from Allah
- [10:107] Know that if Allah should touch you with adversity, there is no remover of it except Him; and if He intends for you good, then there is no repeller of His bounty. He causes it to reach whom He wills of His servants. And He is the Forgiving, the Merciful.
Both these states of hardship and goodness are directed to every slave of Allah and this is why He says afterwards: ‘Yuseebu bihi‘ (causes it to reach) – i.e. it’s like a spear or targeted arrow which never misses the spot. We usually associate this example with bad things, but we never think about how it also relates to good things. When the khayr (good) is directed at you, it will never miss you, so don’t think that your life is bereft of good stuff when all it takes is one intent from Allah and before you know it, His bounties are poured over you. But if you must struggle in your life, then realise it will merely be like a touch before it is lifted from you, so in both cases, rejoice and take delight in the beautiful way that Allah works in our lives. Allahu Akbar!
- [10:108] The Truth is clear. The ones who accept benefit themselves and the ones who reject cause their own destruction.
English Compilation: Sr. Mariam Anwer