Surah Ibrahim 1- 52
- [14:1] The Qur’an is an amazing gift from Allah! Do not take it for granted. It takes one out from the darkness of ignorance to Light of eeman and to the path that leads to the Creator’s love and pleasure.
- [14:7] Be grateful. It’s the key to happiness and more of Allah’s blessings. Allah says that if you thank Him, He will will surely increase you in all blessings, what a merciful Lord! Be thankful not just when you receive blessings or for the existing blessings but also when you face problems and unpleasant things because if you reamin patient Allah will increase you [again] in levels in Jannah.
- [14:17] Think about the horrors of the Hellfire; drinking foul and boiling fluids, death coming from everywhere but you will not die. Ask Allah each day to protect you from the Fire.
- [14:22] All shaytan does is invite you to disobedience – all that happens next is your choice of actions…it’s up to you if you respond and follow his whispers.
- [14:24] A good word (Pakeeza Kalima) is like a good tree, that gives or produce Khair (Date tree) – La ilaaha’illAllah, the most pure kalima/ pure words.
- [14:26] An evil Word (Khabees Kalima) is that of an evil tree, it has no stability and importance.
- [14:27] Increase in saying laa ilaaha illAllah randomly as dhikr during the day and try to feel what you are saying as when a person says these beautiful words, believes in them, acts on them and stays away from shirk, his relationship with Allah gets stronger. Allah makes sure that such a person stops fearing the storms sent his way and stays firm in belief in dunya, in the grave and on the Day of Qiyamah.
يُثَبِّتُ اللَّهُ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا بِالْقَوْلِ الثَّابِتِ فِي الْحَيَاةِ الدُّنْيَا وَفِي الْآخِرَةِ ۖ وَيُضِلُّ اللَّهُ الظَّالِمِين
- [14:31] Never let any friendship prevent you from righteous deeds like praying on time [in the masjid for men] and spending your money for your akhirah – like how some say “O come let’s go shopping now, just catch up your prayer later!” Or: “Why would you give that money away (sadaqah), get that new mobile first!” On the Day of Judgement your salah and sadaqah will avail you, your friends won’t be there.
- [14:39] Ibrahim (alayhissalam) was in his old age, when he had Ishaq (alayhissalam) . He was no common man. He was Allah’s prophet and then Allah’s friend. Everyone would expect his dua to be responded to as soon as he makes it the first time…but Allah delayed His response to him. But he kept making dua for years and years without stopping and was hopeful and continued praying…without being depressed and without losing hope. So Allah accepted and responded at His own timing. And then the Prophet was thankful to Him without any complains or grudges with Him, Learn and copy the attitude.
- [14:40] Teach the children how to pray. Take care of their spiritual needs, emotional needs and physical needs. Ibrahim prayed for their spiritual needs first then asked Allah to provide them with love of people (emotional needs) and then lastly he prayed for their food (physical needs). It’s because when a person is busy with fulfilling his spiritual (Prayer/Dhikr/Quran) or emotional needs (busy with close family/close friends), he forget his physical needs (food/other) or it’s the last thing on his mind. Reflect on this awesome reminder. Make the dua of Ibrahim (alayhissallam) from your heart for yourself and your offspring:
رَبِّ اجْعَلْنِي مُقِيمَ الصَّلَاةِ وَمِن ذُرِّيَّتِي رَبَّنَا وَتَقَبَّلْ دُعَاءِ
“My Lord! make me establish prayer and from my offspring (too), O our Lord, and accept my prayer”.
Always ask Allah to be of those whose dua is accepted and then have yaqeen (be certain) that Allah will accept and answer your supplications.
- [14:41] Consistently make dua for your (believing) parents to be forgiven. Remember dua of Ibrahim (alayhissalam):
رَبَّنَا اغْفِرْ لِي وَلِوَالِدَيَّ وَلِلْمُؤْمِنِينَ يَوْمَ يَقُومُ الْحِسَابُ
O our Lord! Forgive me (grant me protection) and my parents and the believers on the day when the reckoning shall come to pass.
And remember when you make dua for others- the angels say Aameen to the same for you.
- [14:42] Whenever you are hurt, upset or wronged by anyone comfort yourself by knowing that your Lord is aware of the wrongdoers and He will deal with them. He is Al Jabbaar – the One who punishes the oppressors and the One who mends the hearts of the believers.
May Allah subhana’watalah guide us to reflect and act on these points, Aameen.
English Compilation: Sr. Mariam Anwer (Quest for Paradise)