حَدَّثَنَا قُتَيْبَةُ، حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ الْعَزِيزِ بْنُ مُحَمَّدٍ، عَنْ سُهَيْلِ بْنِ أَبِي صَالِحٍ، عَنْ أَبِيهِ، عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ، أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ “ لاَ تَجْعَلُوا بُيُوتَكُمْ مَقَابِرَ وَإِنَّ الْبَيْتَ الَّذِي تُقْرَأُ فِيهِ الْبَقَرَةُ لاَ يَدْخُلُهُ الشَّيْطَانُ ” . قَالَ أَبُو عِيسَى هَذَا حَدِيثٌ حَسَنٌ صَحِيحٌ .“Do not turn your houses into graves. Indeed Ash-Shaitan does not enter the house in which Surat Al-Baqarah is recited.”
1. There are many hadith of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) about the power of this phrase, “SubhanAllah wa bihamdihi“, which means, “Glory to Allah and praise Him.”
Whoever says “SubhanAllah wa bihamdihi” a hundred times during the day, his sins are wiped away, even if they are like the foam of the sea. [Sahih al-Bukhari; #7:168, Sahih Muslim; #4:2071]
2. Radhitu billahi Rabba, Wa bil Islami deena, Wa bimuhammadin salla Allahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, Nabiyyan
3. Rabbana taqabbal minna innaka antas Sameeaul Aleem
“Our Lord! Accept (this service) from us: For Thou art the All-Hearing, the All-knowing” [2:127]
4. Rabbana wa-j’alna Muslimayni laka wa min Dhurriyatina ‘Ummatan Muslimatan laka wa ‘Arina Manasikana wa tub ‘alayna ‘innaka ‘antat-Tawwabu-Raheem
” Our Lord! Make of us Muslims, bowing to Thy (Will), and of our progeny a people Muslim, bowing to Thy (will); and show us our place for the celebration of (due) rites; and turn unto us (in Mercy); for Thou art the Oft-Returning, Most Merciful” [2:128]
5. SubhanAllah, walHamdulilah, wa La illaha ilAllahu, waAllahu Akbar
(Glory be to Allah, All Praise is for Allah, There is No God but Allah, Allah is the Greatest).
Abu Sa`id reported that the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) said, “Perform the enduring goods deeds (al-baaqiyaat al-SaliHaat) more frequently.” They asked, “What are these enduring good deeds?
” The Prophet replied: Takbir [Allahu Akbar], Tahlil [la ilaha illallah], Tasbih [Subhan’Allah], alhamdulillah, and la hawla wa la quwwata illa billah. [Sahih Muslim; #3:1685]
The above are mentioned as the four most beloved words to Allah.
- Try to nurture the qualities of Mutaqeen.
- Taqwa (God conciousness) should reflect in our speech, actions, manners, dealings and worship.
- Get rid of stubbornness and ego.
- Love of dunya, lies, deception, ridicule, and hypocrisy ate the qualities of munafiqeen.
- In case, we find any one of these in ourselves, we must make sincere dua to get rid of it and apt good qualities.
- Nurture good habits especially loving Allah subhana’wataAllah, truthfulness, honesty, respect and love of akhirah.
- Worship Allah in order to be saved from the punishment.
- Acquire knowledge in order to get guidance and avoid the pride.
- Knowledge should be acquired in order to act on it.
- Seek help through patience and salah in every difficulty.
- Strengthen Allah’s khashiyat (love and humbleness ) in oneself.
- Be patient in trials and difficulties hoping for reward by Allah subhana’wataAllah in Akhirah.
- Worship Allah alone without declaring any partners with Him.
- Maintain good relations with patents, relatives, orphans and poor people.
- Kind and gentle speech.
- Be regular in salah.
- Pay zakah.
- Samai’na Wa’ Ata’na – say I hear and I obey at every command of Allah subhana’wataAllah.
- Love and respect Allah’s friends.
- Believe that Allah is all powerful and mighty and no one can hurt us with magic without His permission.
- Respect the scholars and Majalis of knowledge (halaqa) and pay attention to what is being taught.
- Forgive the ones who create trouble for us due to jealousy and evil nature.
- Focus on salah and charity if one fears the trials.
- Do every deed at the level of perfection for Allah like a Mohsin.
- Correct our intentions and deeds for Allah’s sake.
- Pray salah, do zikr and recitation in masjid.
- Record the quran beautifully.
- Make dua that may Allah chose us and our progeny for His work, propagation of His Deen.
- Focus on the quality of the deed instead of quantity and make dua that may Allah accept those from us. Ameen.
- Be content at every decision of Allah subhana’wataAllah.
- Advise (wasiyysh) our children to live their lives as true muslims and to die as a Muslim.
- Our actions, manners and charger should be of one who is a muttaqi ( Allah conciousness ).
Al-Fatihah is not merely an introduction to Qur’an rather it is a du’a for seeking the Right Guidance and Qur’an is the reply of that du’a. A person asks His Creator for guidance, and in response to the person’s du’a Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala presents the entire Qur’an. As if to state, this is the guidance that you seek. Subhan’Allah!
Al-Fatihah is a prayer where we are being taught not to put forward our request bluntly and abruptly, but to begin by acknowledging the excellences, favors and the highest position of Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala. We should remember Who we are talking to for it is only He Who blesses us with countless bounties.