The Surah Al-Ma’ida, opens with a discussion of dietary laws, pilgrimage, marriage, and criminal punishment for certain crimes. These provide a spiritual framework for laws and practices that were enacted during the early years of the Islamic community in Madinah.
Surah Al Maida Ayahs 1 to 81
- [5:1] It is important for believers to fulfill all their convenants and obligations sent by Allah.
- [5:2] Do not change to halal what Allah has fixed as haraam, be it regarding acts of worship or actions of daily life.
- [5:2] Help and encourage each other in righteous deeds but never cooperate with anyone in sins like lying, stealing, cheating, adultery and other haram acts.
- [5:3] Have knowledge about food that is Haram (prohibited) for you: dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah , and [those animals] killed by strangling or by a violent blow or by a head-long fall or by the goring of horns, and those from which a wild animal has eaten, except what you [are able to] slaughter [before its death], and those which are sacrificed on stone altars.
- [5:3] Decision making through divining arrows, going to fortune tellers, horoscopes e.t.c. is all forbidden and leads to shirk. Allah has blessed us with the prayer of Istikharah for seeking His help in decision making. [Comment and ask us about Prayer of Istikharah if you don’t know.
- [5:3] Deen has been made complete by Allah. There is no space of new changes and innovations in it.
- [5:4] Allah has allowed the Muslims to have pure and halal food and drink. And He has permitted men to marry pure women whether they are from the Muslims or from the people of the book (on the condtition that they have never had any unlawful relations with men in the past).
- [5:5] The beautiful obligation of wudhu, necessary for prayer to be accepted, a source of getting closer to the Lord, a way to make your sins fall off and make the body parts shine on the Day of Qiyamah. In case of no water for wudhu, Tayammum with clean earth has been made permissible.
- [5:8] Not letting enmity and hatred of others stop one from doing justice is a sign of person with real taqwa.
- [5:15-16] Whenever you feel worried and confused and find yourself in darkness, turn to the Qur’an and find peace, solace and solution therein because Allah has called it “the Light”. It is the Light which guides…it is the Light to which Allah takes his friends from the darkness of ignorance and pain.
- [5:23] Never say NO to good deeds! Never say ‘I cant do it..its not possible’ Obey Allah and Be hopeful….trust Allah that He will help you in obedience to Him. Take the first step in obedience and watch Allah help you in taking the rest of the steps and give barakah!
- [5:27] Ikhlas (sincerity of intention) and following the shari’ah is a must for any act of worship to be accepted.
- [5:28] Don’t let hasad (jealousy) take over you, especially not within your family. Fear your Lord. Hasad and eeman cannot go together.
- [5:28] We should seek to draw closer to Allah by doin good deeds and strive harder for success in both worlds.
- [5:32] Saving one life for the sake of Allah is like saving all of mankind- how many chances do we have to aid in saving lives in our Ummah?
- [5:38-39] Teach children how serious the crime of theft is. When you catch (small) children stealing, advise them with wisdom and teach them to seek Allah’s forgiveness afterwards. Spread awareness about its severe punishment to adults as well.
- [5:49] Decide what is right and wrong according to what Allah says is right and wrong. Not what your desires or even other people say.
- [5:54] Strive in the cause of Allah, don’t fear the blame of the critic and definitely don’t be a critic yourself! If you turn away from your Deen Allah will replace you with people who are better than you, whom He will love and they will lov Him back.
- [5:57] Real friendship should be with Allah, His Messenger and believers, not with th ones who mock our religion.
- [5:71] Don’t be deaf and blind to the commandments of Allah, especially when they don’t seem to “suit” you.
- [5:78-79] Along with accepting and following the rules of Allah yourself, call your family, friends and other people to submit, and follow all that has been ordained by Allah and stay away from all that is prohibited. Don’t become careless if you see family members and friends sinning openly. Preventing another from wrongdoing with hikmah (wisdom) is a part of brotherhood. This is our duty as an ummah and not just the duty of Shaikhs, teachers and muftis.
English Compilation: Sr. Mariam Anwer ( Quest for Paradise)