- Time of death is fixed and cann’t be changed by any means. At length, when death approaches, angels take soul, and they never fail in their duty. Al-Ana’m 61
- Do not sit with those people who make fun of deen and Quran. Al-Ana’m 68
- We will have to stand alone in front of Allah, its imagination brings shivers down to my spine. Al-Ana’m 94
- We can’t see Allah swt but His (swt) grasp is over all visions, when we ridicule others by rolling eyes or make negative eye actions, it is grasped by Him. Al-Ana’m 103
Shared By: Sr Uzma Hussain
The main theme of this beautiful surah is Tawheed. At-Tabarani recorded that Ibn `Abbas said,
“All of Surat Al-An`am was revealed [at once] in Makkah at night, accompanied by seventy thousand angels, raising their voices in glorification of Allah”
The beginning of Sura Al-An’am picks up the topic of Allah’s creation, and the many signs which are present for those who are open-minded to the evidence of Allah’s handiwork.
Surah Al-An’am 1 to 110
[6:3] Allah Ta’ala is aware of all conditions and actions so beware of doing wrong even when you are hidden from the people.
[6:6] Read about the destroyed generations from the past mentioned in the Quran with the purpose of learning from their mistakes and check yourself if you are guilty of similar crimes. Repent and return to Allah before it’s too late.
[6:8] What is the point of ‘emaan‘ when the unseen would be visible? Do you see the beauty of having emaan? You are believing in things and scenes which you ‘haven’t seen’ – and you will be rewarded for this beautiful faith. Have strong emaan in al ghayb.
[6:14] Focus and ponder over the signs of Allah and disassociating yourself from shirk, proclaim of being Muslim submitting to Allah alone.
[6:17] Allah states that He Alone brings benefit or harm, and that He does what He wills with His creatures, none can resist His judgment or prevent what He decrees, SubhanAllah. We have to believe that Allah gives and takes but no one can take away our faith in Allah from our heart. It’s something no one can snatch from you. Even if we are to lose everything in this world, even if we go through the worst of all trials, diseases and sufferings…we should know that it’s His Decree, His Plan for us…if He has touched us with hardship today, we have to believe that it is ONLY HIM WHO has the power to remove it.
And this realization itself, helps us to navigate through all the bumps and roadblocks in our life. We have submitted to the One Who will never abandon us, never leave us.
It is recorded in the Sahih that the Messenger of Allah used to supplicate,
اللَّهُمَّ لَا مَانِعَ لِمَا أَعْطَيْتَ وَلَا مُعْطِيَ لِمَا مَنَعْتَ، وَلَا يَنْفَعُ ذَا الْجَدِّ مِنْكَ الْجَد
“O Allah, there is none Who can avert what You grant or give what You deprive, and no fortune ever helps the fortunate against You”. (Sahih)
[6:21] Receiving a blessing while you have been of the thankful ones, shows Allah is pleased with you but the ones who receive blessings while they have been disobedient…their blessing is nothing but a respite for them to increase in sins.
[6:33-36] Be concerned about bringing your family, friends and others in your community to the straight path but do not let the concern eat you up. Do not grieve if they don’t listen, if they insult and ridicule you…remember only the one who wants to be guided will be guided by Allah in’sha Allah.
[6:46] The blessings of seeing, listening and responding from the heart are enormous blessings…we should thank Allah for them.
[6:53] When you do da’wah don’t turn away from the people who are weak or low in worldly status but high in eeman. Treat everyone equally.
[6:54] Our Rabb is the Most Merciful. He has mercy on the one who turns to Him in repentance and forgives his sins.
[6:59] Our Rabb is Al ‘Aleem. He knows what is on the land and in the sea. Not a leaf falls but that He knows it. And no grain is there within the darknesses of the earth but He knows it. He knows what our souls whisper to us and He is closer to us “than the jugular vein”. So He knows what you are going through, what you are feeling. Your Lord does not forget either; so do not think that anything you have done has gone to waste. He knows when you prevented yourself from doing bad for His sake, so just because you didn’t see the result of your choice immediately, don’t think that it went unnoticed. Just know that Allah knows.
[6:61] Our Rabb is Al Qahir. He has full power over His servants so He can send His angel to us and take away our soul any time He wills. So let’s ask ourselves: Are we prepared for that moment?
[6:63-65] Our Rabb is Al Qadir – Able to do everything. He is All Able to send a punishment our way because of our sins from above or below us. He is the Only One who can save us from distress on land and in the darkness of the sea. So why can’t we accept these facts with our hearts and minds and leave off shirk and bidd’ah?
[6:74-79] Learn how Prophet Ibrahim(alayhissalam) searched for signs and observed the whole universe, then recognised the Truth and made Allah the focus of His devotion and worship. He said:
إِنِّى وَجَّهْتُ وَجْهِىَ لِلَّذِى فَطَرَ السَّمَـوَتِ وَالاٌّرْضَ حَنِيفاً وَمَآ أَنَاْ مِنَ الْمُشْرِكِينَ
“Indeed, I have turned my face toward He who created the heavens and the earth, inclining toward truth, and I am not of those who associate others with Allah .”
[6:83-87] Your sacrifices for Deen will never go wasted. Prophet Ibrahim (alayhissalam) left his family/his community and sacrificed everything for the sake of Allah so Allah rewarded him by blessing him progeny (with children and grandchildren) who were also blessed with prophethood and were of the chosen righteous ones.
[6:92] Read the Qur’an, understand and follow its rulings…for, by doing so, Allah will fill your life with all sorts of blessings.
[6:93] Visualize how the angels at death will seize the souls of the wrongdoers and sincerely pray not to be one of them.
[6:94] Remind yourself you won’t take your houses, cars and fashion into your grave. The money you worry about now is insignificant on the scales in the Hereafter.
[6:99] Realize the blessing of food and say bismillah when you eat from your heart, remembering Who provides you with all this food. Say the sunnah supplication when you finish food and teach others.
[6:101-104] Read the meaning of these verses asd know that your Rabb is the Originator of the heavens and the earth. He is self sufficient, has no partners nor children. He is the Creator of everything you see and don’t see. Vision perceives Him not, but He perceives [all] vision; He is the Most Gentle, Most Aware of everything. Don’t be blind to His power, recognize and accept the facts and submit to the One True God – Allah.
May Allah guide us to reflect and act on these points. Aameen
English Compilation: Sr. Mariam Anwer ( Quest for Paradise)
Surah Al-Ma’ida Ayahs 82 to 120
The continuation of Surah Al-Ma’ida follows in the same vein as the first part of the surah, detailing issues of dietary law, marriage, and criminal punishments. Further, Muslims are advised to avoid breaking oaths, intoxicants, gambling, sorcery, superstitions, breaking oaths, and hunting in the Sacred Precincts (Makkah) or during pilgrimage. Muslims should write their wills, witnessed by honest people. Believers should also avoid going to excess, making lawful things out to be unlawful. Believers are instructed to obey Allah, and obey the Messenger of Allah.
- [5:82] The Christians who accepted Islam have been praised by Allah because of them not being arrogant. Arrogance and pride is despised by Allah. It keeps you away from accepting the truth. Abu Jahl went to listen to the Quran and didn’t deny that it was the truth but arrogance kept him from accepting it. Do you see what a scary thing arrogance is; it can make you deny the truth when it’s in front of you. Ask Allah to cure and protect you from kibr (arrogance).
- [5:83] The more one listens to the Qur’an with concentration the more it effects him, increases him in eeman and makes him closer to Allah…and when such a person makes du’a Allah showers him with his blessings.
- [5:83] From the du’aa made by the Christians who accepted Islam we learn that good words…correct and humble talk leads one to Jannah. The hunger and thirst of fasting should never effect our speech and words. Stay calm for the sake of Allah and always speak good.
- [5:84] Alway pray for good companions in Dunya so that they help you reach Jannah in the Akhirah.
- [5:89] Don’t swear or make an oath on people, e.g I swear on my mother or son and be careful of saying “wallaahi” for useless things. Guard the oaths you make. And if you ever swore by Allah and didn’t fulfill it, feed or cloth ten needy persons, free a slave and if you can’t then fast three consecutive days.
- [5:90] Alcohol and Gambling are two evil tools of Shaytan and their purpose is just to create enmity, envy in people and stop a person from prayer and dhikr of Allah. Allah not only said it is haram, He told us to stay far away from them. Know that, Khamr means something that intoxicates you. Mean alcohol in the general meaning of the ayah but it can include anything that intoxicates you.
- [5:98] Try to balance your fear of Allah’s punishment and hope in His mercy, so you don’t slacken in your deeds nor ever despair.
- [5:100] Not equal are the pure things and the impure things. Choose only the pure (halal) things in your life as Allah accept only that which is pure. Make strong duaa to stay away from impure/haraam things. Prophet (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wasallam) used to always make this duaa for this purpose:
اللَّهُمَّ اكْفِنِي بِحَلَالِكَ عَنْ حَرَامِكَ، وَأَغْنِنِي بِفَضْلِكَ عَمَّنْ سِوَاكَ
O Allah! Grant me enough of what You make lawful so that I may dispense with what You make unlawful, and enable me by Your Grace to dispense with all but You. [At Tirmidhi]
- [5:102] Beware of unnecessary excessive questions about religion that makes it hard to practice. Ask what is important to increase in knowledge and implement in your life.
- [5:105] Don’t focus too much on others, while forgetting about yourself, your own mistakes and your relationship with Allah (‘alaykum anfusakum).
- [5:116] Know that in your relationship with Allah you are the slave and He is the Master: You don’t know what is within Him, He knows all what is within you.
- [5:117] Prophet Isa was also taught by Allah to worship One God and not associate any partners with Him.
- [5:118] If you have not memorized much of the Qur’an then it is OK to keep repeating [with sincerity and humility] the ayahs you know to make your standing [qiyam] in night prayers longer. Abu Dharr said that RasoolAllah (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wasallam) stood in qiyam one night and recited just one ayah till the morning [repeatedly] The ayah was:
إن تعذبهم فإنهم عبادك وإن تغفر لهم فإنك أنت العزيز الحكيم
“If You Punish them they are Your slaves and if You Forgive them, then You are All Mighty all Wise” [Al Maida 5:118]
(Narrated by An Nasa’ii)
- [5:119] Truth will certainly truimph! On the day of Qiyamah the truthful ones will get Jannah, Allah’s Pleasure and eternal success as reward for believing in the Truth.
English Compilation: Sr. Mariam Anwer ( Quest for Paradise)