Surah Al-Ma’ida Ayahs 82 to 120
- [5:82] The Christians who accepted Islam have been praised by Allah because of them not being arrogant. Arrogance and pride is despised by Allah. It keeps you away from accepting the truth. Abu Jahl went to listen to the Quran and didn’t deny that it was the truth but arrogance kept him from accepting it. Do you see what a scary thing arrogance is; it can make you deny the truth when it’s in front of you. Ask Allah to cure and protect you from kibr (arrogance).
- [5:83] The more one listens to the Qur’an with concentration the more it effects him, increases him in eeman and makes him closer to Allah…and when such a person makes du’a Allah showers him with his blessings.
- [5:83] From the du’aa made by the Christians who accepted Islam we learn that good words…correct and humble talk leads one to Jannah. The hunger and thirst of fasting should never effect our speech and words. Stay calm for the sake of Allah and always speak good.
- [5:84] Alway pray for good companions in Dunya so that they help you reach Jannah in the Akhirah.
- [5:89] Don’t swear or make an oath on people, e.g I swear on my mother or son and be careful of saying “wallaahi” for useless things. Guard the oaths you make. And if you ever swore by Allah and didn’t fulfill it, feed or cloth ten needy persons, free a slave and if you can’t then fast three consecutive days.
- [5:90] Alcohol and Gambling are two evil tools of Shaytan and their purpose is just to create enmity, envy in people and stop a person from prayer and dhikr of Allah. Allah not only said it is haram, He told us to stay far away from them. Know that, Khamr means something that intoxicates you. Mean alcohol in the general meaning of the ayah but it can include anything that intoxicates you.
- [5:98] Try to balance your fear of Allah’s punishment and hope in His mercy, so you don’t slacken in your deeds nor ever despair.
- [5:100] Not equal are the pure things and the impure things. Choose only the pure (halal) things in your life as Allah accept only that which is pure. Make strong duaa to stay away from impure/haraam things. Prophet (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wasallam) used to always make this duaa for this purpose:
اللَّهُمَّ اكْفِنِي بِحَلَالِكَ عَنْ حَرَامِكَ، وَأَغْنِنِي بِفَضْلِكَ عَمَّنْ سِوَاكَO Allah! Grant me enough of what You make lawful so that I may dispense with what You make unlawful, and enable me by Your Grace to dispense with all but You. [At Tirmidhi]
- [5:102] Beware of unnecessary excessive questions about religion that makes it hard to practice. Ask what is important to increase in knowledge and implement in your life.
- [5:105] Don’t focus too much on others, while forgetting about yourself, your own mistakes and your relationship with Allah (‘alaykum anfusakum).
- [5:116] Know that in your relationship with Allah you are the slave and He is the Master: You don’t know what is within Him, He knows all what is within you.
- [5:117] Prophet Isa was also taught by Allah to worship One God and not associate any partners with Him.
- [5:118] If you have not memorized much of the Qur’an then it is OK to keep repeating [with sincerity and humility] the ayahs you know to make your standing [qiyam] in night prayers longer. Abu Dharr said that RasoolAllah (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wasallam) stood in qiyam one night and recited just one ayah till the morning [repeatedly] The ayah was:
إن تعذبهم فإنهم عبادك وإن تغفر لهم فإنك أنت العزيز الحكيم“If You Punish them they are Your slaves and if You Forgive them, then You are All Mighty all Wise” [Al Maida 5:118](Narrated by An Nasa’ii)
- [5:119] Truth will certainly truimph! On the day of Qiyamah the truthful ones will get Jannah, Allah’s Pleasure and eternal success as reward for believing in the Truth.
English Compilation: Sr. Mariam Anwer ( Quest for Paradise)